Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 7, 2007

11 weeks


How your baby's growing: Your fig-sized baby is now fully formed — measuring 1 1/2 inches long and weighing in at a quarter of an ounce. His skin is still transparent, allowing many of his blood vessels to show through. Some of his bones are beginning to harden, and tiny toothbuds are starting to appear under his gums. His fingers and toes have separated, and he may soon be able to open and close his fists. He's already busy kicking and stretching, and his tiny movements are so fluid they look like water ballet. These movements will increase as his body grows and becomes more developed and functional. As his diaphragm develops, your tiny tenant may also start to get the hiccups. Because he's still so small, though, you won't feel any of his workouts or intrauterine gulps until sometime between weeks 16 and 20.

How your life's changing: At this point, you may be experiencing some strange symptoms, such as excessive saliva. Learn which of your symptoms are normal and which are a sign that something might be wrong. You're probably also wondering things like, Can I keep going to dance class? Could the air bags in my car hurt my baby? Which cold medications are safe to take now? Find out what's safe and what's not during pregnancy.

Don't worry if nausea has made it impossible for you to eat a wide variety of healthy foods or if you haven't put on much weight yet (most women gain between 2 and 5 pounds during the first trimester). Your appetite will likely return soon and you'll start to gain about a pound a week.

How I'm doing: I'm doing much better this week so far. I can feel my cold starting to go away. My headaches went away the day after I started the antibiotics; that was welcome relief. I'm still congested. I still have a cough sometimes. But those are getting better. For the most part I'm just tired and it's really hard to get out of bed in the morning. Probably because I can sleep now after going a few days without being able to get to sleep between coughing and blowing my nose. Last night I slept for 11 hours. I also finally felt well enough to clean the house up. It was getting pretty bad after a week of me just laying down every day when I got home from work and Scott being at work until 8 or so several times during the week and working full days on Saturday and Sunday. As far as the baby goes, I'm feeling pretty good. My stomach still gets uneasy every once in a while but it's getting better. My clothes are getting tighter. I don't think it will be long before I need to wear some maternity pants. Thankfully the 2 pairs I have are adjustable so I can actually adjust them small enough to fit me now and they'll grow with me. Our baby is officially a fetus now, it's no longer an embryo. Just another 2 short weeks and we'll be out of the first trimester, which is a major milestone. Another week and a half before we get to see the baby for our first prenatal screening. When we see the heartbeat we'll also be passing a hurdle towards insuring our baby will make it here healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment